Sunday, February 3, 2008

Snowboarding in Naeba

On the work ski trip...

A friend and I snuck under the ropes and got some sneaky turns in under Gondola 1 at Naeba. Really easy access, no hiking! And the traverse out along a creek wasn't to bad... and unlike Australia, the creek was actually covered, so you could ride over it without to much concern. In fact we took a run down one of the gullies and it was much fun, well fun for me, apparently not so much fun for the person following me because I wiped all the snow off of a waterfall as I was going over it, so getting down after me was a bit of an issue. Heh.

Anyway, haven't ridden in the trees for quite a while, so was nice to get back into it again, and the snow was sensational, almost waist deep in some places and really fluffy. Yay, Pow!

 

Really was amazing to get such great snow (with steep bits!), with pretty much no other tracks apart from our own, and did I mention no hiking? Just get off the Gondola, duck the rope, enjoy the pow, short traverse along a creek, and duck another rope back onto a groomed run. Easy. Fun.

Got to say though, it's quite a bit steeper than it looks in these clips, and was pretty hard work, especially as I was riding a 146 with the stance set tip and tail with the back foot at -15. But for such a short board, it really handled it nicely. Just need to square up the angle on the back foot before next time, then it will be even better.

No comments: