Monday, July 9, 2007

Trains...

Coming from Sydney, and having been a cityrail commuter in the past (and as a result ended up being the first owner of such distinguished domains as www.f*ckcityrail.com etc) I was really worried about having to commute to work on a train. Even more worried when I found out I have to catch two trains to get to work. Even more worried having heard stories of how crowded the trains are in Tokyo...

What a pleasant surprise! Ok the trains are crowded sometimes, but they come every few minutes! Ive never had to wait more than about 3 minutes for a train. I don't even have to worry about timetables and such, because they just run like clockwork every couple of minutes. Pretty stoked at how quick it is to get to work, I spend more time walking to the station than I do on the trains - first train for one stop, then change platforms, second train for 2 stops, then into the lift (without leaving underground) up one flight of steps, then I'm at my desk. All done in about 30 minutes, 10 to 15 of which is spent strolling through the crowd to get to the station!

Also, Tamachi station, I have to walk through it in the morning to get to my station (Mita). Wow, to say it is incredibly crowded in the mornings is the biggest understatement ever. It is a non stop stream of people packed in shoulder to should all going different directions! And I have to get from one side to the other... so glad I don't have to go into that station, my station is nowhere near that crowded. Will try to post a pic of it soon...

No comments: